Thursday, February 01, 2007

Black History/Old Skool Al Green



I decided for Old Skool Friday I'd take a different approach this month. I'm going to celebrate Black History through it.. You see growing up I became very fond of many different types of music given the the fact that we took many road trips when I was a kid. Being that my brother and I could never agree on anything, often times my parents would dictate what we listened to, and more often the not it was Old Skool 98.5 or Majic 102 Jamz. (Depending on when Majic Switched from New Hits to Adult Contemporary) 97.9 the box, (at the time the only R&B radio Station in Houston) was never an option. So while on a drive to Louisiana if you drove by the car I was in, chances are you heard alot of Al Green, Marvin Gaye, the O'Jays and etc.


Al"Gritz" Green is one that I actually latched onto quickly. His southern twang and flare for the dramatic made him a cult icon to me.

Little Known Al Green Facts

-He was initially in a group with his brothers called the Greene Brothers.
- Gritz(as many of us know him by) was a nickname given to him b/c his then girlfriend Mary Woodson poured them on his back , shoulders and arms resulting in 2nd Degree burns on several parts of his body.
- He is an Ordained Minister
- He is a Member of the Rock and Roll,Songwriters and Gospel Hall Of Fame

2 Comments:

At 11:22 AM , Blogger P said...

I can't believe you brought up the hot grits.

What you know bout that?

 
At 12:00 PM , Blogger smoothie said...

I know how it ended to, sadly enough...Al is my dawg....Had to throw that in there, as youngin's always drop Gritz to me.. When i ask them why he's called that, they have no idea..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home