Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Memba when 70's Sitcoms was all You Watched?


Memba when you use to come home from school, and if you were a latch-key kid you couldnt go outside..All you could do was sat at home and stare at the TV...I do, and I got seriously addicted to 70's sitcoms...Thats My Mama, Whats Happening, Sanford and Son, yo name it,If it was old skool, had blackfolk in it and was funny, odds are I was watching it..


On top of my 70's sitcom mountain was Good Times..It was a classic..A lower middle class black family in the Ghetto of Chicago Struggling to make it...Ive racked my brain trying to figure out which was my best episode, and that shyte was useless..There were sooooooo many..So without further adu, i'll just give you a snippet of my 5 favorites and hopefully it will give you a portal to my mindset...(These are in no particular order by the way)


1. The episode were Penny gets Burned with the Iron by her Mom..Im a sick$%^&, b/c I musta laughed my ass off each and every time I saw it...When she drops the Classic quote, "Momma No!", every time I hit the flo......


2. Damn Damn Damn!!!..Who didnt see this coming..Your husband died shortly after he got his job in the MI Crooked Letter and Florida acted like it was just another day..Yeah.......Right.....When she shattered that Punchbowl , it was epic. To this very day, I have yet to see anything on TV that dramatic. She made you believe (at least me anyway that she was in pain)


3. Thelma Getting Married..Only b/c Thelma got married it makes my top 3..Thelma was my fantasy woman of all time..She was before her time when it came to looks, fashion, and overall class...Damn the whole Kieth breaking his leg thing..Thelma getting married was the first time I can remember my heart breaking...She was now Kieths Gal..Damn you Kieth...


4. J J, Pablo, Cool Breeze, Head, were the Awesome 4rsome Until We are Dead..Well they broke up when they brought a car and decided they were going to share it..It taught me, 4 Grown men sharing anything is destined for failure...


5. J J Gets skipped ahead a grade...Man the look on Mom and Dads face when JJ looked the Principal right in the eye and said Sir, Its with great honor that I will accompany my Class to the Sr. Yr and graduate next year..This after James gave him the Pride Speech..."Our family wont take a handout b/c we Got --------Pride...... Right JJ, right dad...." Classic
Good Luck finding these joints now though..TV Land may get a wild hair and run Good Times on a weekend stretch, but thats about it..But, those shows, may forever be the best programming ever...

4 Comments:

At 7:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"She was now Kieths Gal..Damn you Kieth..."

hahaha!

 
At 12:17 PM , Blogger P said...

IMMA GET YOU for bringing back the old school Good Times. You crazy.

But you did bring up some classic episodes. I can remember being a very small child, not understanding why Florida wasn't crying when James died. Even now, when I watch that scene (even though I joke around about it), it's a painful scene. A painful episode. Like you said. Classic shit. Gots to be in the top five TV scenes of all time.

HAHAHA @ Thelma. She shattered a lot of little boys (and MEN's) hearts when she married that man. . .And for us little girls, I think we were fascinated with Willona and all of her pretty clothes and boots from the boutique!

PS: How come, if the ghetto was so bad, The Evans family always left their door unlocked and Willona walked in at any given moment?

 
At 12:23 PM , Blogger P said...

PS: I thought you would enjoy this. It's the link to Jump the Shark.

I don't know if you've ever heard of it, but it's a database of TV shows, and when they finally "Jumped the Shark" - Meaning, when they started to become outlandish, outrageous, and well past their time.

here is the link directly to "Good Times" http://www.jumptheshark.com/topic/good-times-general-comments/806

And for other TV shows, just go to jumptheshark.com

 
At 3:39 PM , Blogger smoothie said...

E,

Dont laugh like her marrying Kieth didnt piss you off..That put me on end bruh...I was in a cold dark place for a minute b/c of it...

P,

Yeah Florida not cryin cross the line from emotional to serious..Lookin at Michael and JJ saying he broke down had me like whoa..and when the punchbowl shatters, i get chills....
Im going to check that page out...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home