Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you September 11th 2001


I can remember exactly where I was when the news hit that America was Under Attack. We were circling the San Fransisco Harbor getting ready to pull in for Fleet Week. Then a Second Class Petty Officer stationed aboard USS Lake Erie, we had been travelling and doing exercises for 2 weeks off the California Coast in hopes that we could finally pull in and get a much deserved break.


Then it happened, roughly 0511 am PST the word was passed over the Ships Communication System that all had gone awry. We were a mere 2 hrs away from Liberty , Sweet Liberty, all that came crashing down (no pun intended) when those terrorist came swooping into the World Trade Center. There are rare times when I can say I was proud to serve. That was one of those times. At that moment, like Every American my initial mind frame was revenge. I wanted us to load up every Nuke we had and parking lot AFGHANISTAN.


I dont need to go int othe details of what went down the next 6+ yrs, but somehow Saddam got drug into it, Bush is making Secret Trips to Iraq, and Osama is still out there putting out his hate message.


Rather then tell you my view's on the day, I just wanna know where you were and what was your thought process when you heard the news that we were under attack?

2 Comments:

At 4:35 PM , Blogger P said...

**SIGH**

It was about seven or so out here in Cali. I was in my car on the way to work. One of my friends called me and said that a plane ran into the World Trade Center. I said "WHAT DO YOU MEAN A PLAN RAMMED INTO THE WORLD TRADE CENTER"?

I couldn't process the information. I got off the phone and turned on the radio. Then I heard about the second plane, THEN the Pentacon, THEN the one in Pittsburgh. All of this was on the way to work, because at that time, I had about a 45 minute commute.

My mind was RACING. I didn't know what to do, what to think, how to act. Considering this was our first experience with Terrorism, of course I was still trying to wrap my head around that. Then I started thinking about all the people who had passed away, well, MURDERED. What they must have felt like during that time, how they tried to call their love ones, knowing, just knowing, that this can NOT end good.

I called my mom, woke her up out of her sleep. She was more than surprised. When I got the work, the internet lines (albeit DSL) were jammed because everybody in the world that COULD was trying to get on some kind of news channel. No one worked that day; pretty much everyone went home early.

On the way home, on the street I live on, I saw flags hanging outside of people's house. I think that was the first time that I cried about it. But it wasn't the last.

It got to the point (and I think that everybody got to this point), that I couldn't watch it anymore on TV (especially not the pictures of them slamming into Tower one and Tower two- not because the accident in New York was more important, but because we had pictures of it). Every time I saw it, I would jump, almost as if I saw it for the first time.

I don't know if you remember, but eventually, they stopped showing the scenes, because children were thinking that it was happening over and over again.

A very dark day in our country. We lost so much that day, and just not lives.

Smoothie: Thank you for taking care of us during your time in the war. We are grateful.

 
At 6:21 PM , Blogger smoothie said...

no problem..

i was actually prud to do it at the time...
sounds like you were going through quite the day at the time.

i can imagine all the cell phone providers out there made millions that day..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home