Monday, February 12, 2007

Valentine's Day at its Very Worst


One of luxuries of being married is Valentine's Day is a holiday I no longer have to sweat out. Fella's I can remember far to many day's going down to the last minute hating this day with the passion of all men before me. You know the drill, Flowers, Candy, Vermont Teddy Bear, or plain old bear in some cases...Well, ya boy, he'd go all out..Or at least try to..No more. This year my wife has told me I can be a little more simple this year. I plan on doing just that. Dont get me wrong, I may mix a surprise in, but other then that, I'm coloring in the lines this year...


My Worst Valentine's Day Ever


This happened to me while I was in the military and stationed in Menwith Hill Station UK. (about 60 miles north of London) I had just got there, and at the time I was still in love with my High School Sweetheart. So its, Valentine's Eve, and I just ordered a Dozen Roses online as well as a box of Godiva Chocolates to give to my girlfriend(who was a freshmen at____College of Medicine) . The chocolates had a note attached and the proof that I knew she received them was the calling card I had packed within the note. Well the next day Valentines day hits, no phone call, im a little worried she didnt get the package, but I have my email confirmation. The day after hits, still no call. I wander if every things ok, so I give her a call and no answer at her dorm room. By now ya' boy's worried.


That night around 2am GMT or 7 pm cst U get a phone call from my boy who was going to school with my then girlfriend. He tells me about how good school is , and that he didn't know me and ___________ had just broken up. To my surprise, "I didnt know either" I responded. So I asked him what made him think that. He then goes into detail about a Valentines Day Party the ______ Fraternity was throwing and how my then gal, was all over a dude who I had knew in my High School Football Days. He approached her and asked her how she was doing (while with man X ) to which she replied, "good , this is my friend ____" i'm helping him with his studies"...Not her brightest moment, considering my homeboy was on the same football team this guy was on. (and it wasn't like he wasn't going to call me and give me all the details.) Now this party ended at 4 am. My homeboy had to take his girl home, so he thought he'd take my girl as well since they both live in the same dorm area. He notice my girlfriend was getting in the car with her "friend"; he told them he wouldn't mind giving her a ride b/c its on the way, to which his teammate said, its cool, I'll take c are of it.


Well, as you might expect , take care of it he did. You see the teammate that I mentioned just so happened to live 2 doors down from my homeboy. Guess who my homeboy say leaving his teammates dorm at 11 am the next morning? Yep you guessed it. My girlfriend. During her walk of shame my 'boy asks her if she needs a ride back to her dorm , she obliges and hops in (3 miles is one helluva walk) Of course he told her that he'd be calling me , to which she said, give me a chance to do it first. Well, about 3 hrs after my homeboy got off the phone with me, she finally called.


No need to tell you how much fun I had during that call. Any body have a worse experience then that?


8 Comments:

At 4:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you got burned by a chicken head in the past doesn't make it OK to ignore your wife on Valentine's day. Just because you say you don't want anything and even if she says she doesn't care if you buy her something, doesn't mean you should listen. Trust me, she really does want a card, flowers, gift or anything.

 
At 5:49 PM , Blogger P said...

Whose the bitter anonymous person. . .

I think what he means by that, is that Valentines Day is a commercial holiday. . .They have people (particulary men) sweating bullets over the last box of candy and God forsaken overpriced baskets.

Smoothie said he was gonna hook her up. . .And yes, she does want some things, but probably not the atypical stuff that shows up on that day.

For me. . .Break me off something proper. . .Where I don't have to do any of the work. . .

 
At 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe your wife likes simplicity,your mother on the otherhand might expect a flower or something,remember she's your first love.

 
At 10:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, if you're backwoods and you married your MOTHER!!!!

 
At 3:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't have to be married to your mother to love your mother. Only backwoods would say something like that. God should be your very first love, we are not married to him,we are his children.

 
At 6:48 AM , Blogger smoothie said...

To A-1,

I assume you missed the entirety of the post so Instead of having you re-read P's comments, I'll say this, It was nice to know that this year, I didnt have, to do much, but did anyway..
and, its always fun to throw a horror story in the mix...

to P,

tks for being a regular reader, it makes it easier to get the point across when you know here im going

a-2
I have a cousin who's mother feels the same way you feel, I gotta be honest, her relationship with her daughter in law isnt the best b/c of it,thus making my cousins life rather uncomforatble..I try not to go that road..Im smooth, not sick..

hope that clears things up...

 
At 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trust that A-1 did get the point about Valentine's day and was just trying to keep you from getting into an unnecessary argument with your wife. So, did you get into trouble with your wife, or did you take the plunge and actually do something nice for her on Valentine's day?

 
At 10:38 AM , Blogger smoothie said...

niether,

my kid was sick, so we didnt do anything but take care of him...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home