Thursday, July 12, 2007

Remembering High School and Reunion



So, I was waisting good tax payer dollar typing along the other day, and a good friend of mind hit me with an email to join a web page specifically designed to discuss my High School Reunion. Yep, its that time for ya boy over hear at Realpeeplz. 10 yrs ago, I could be found between classes at Eisenhower Sr. High cuttin it up. As a jock/cool kid b/c in my heart of hearts, I truly believed that being a Sr. in High School was the equivalent to being a celebrity in Hollywood. You name the occasion and I more then likely was either there, or there for the after party.

The big rival football game against Aldine, front row seats. The Birthday Party for the cute Sophomore chick who's parents aren't home, ya boy was the one who supplied the liquor. Odds are if it was momentous, and took place in High School, in a snapshot, you'd spot me.

Ya boy E was in with the Jocks, had at least one certified dime in every class, and was dating a member of the dance squad. Life was great. In the Caste System that is High School I'd say I was in the Social Elite but, as far as direction , in the mental low. It was High School, and you gotta keep the status quo.

Then, a funny thing happened on May 25th 1997, I graduated. I woke up the next day, and all those good friends I had made throughout the course of 4 yrs (and some 7) had all vanished. That celebrity status erased, and in its place a hole of doubt and questions about what I accomplished in that 4 yr time span. In my mind, the only way to feel those holes was to strike out on my own and figure things out all for myself. I did, and I ended up joining the United Sates Navy.

When I came home from boot camp, tada, I was a celebrity again. However, many of my friends were not. Some had taken local jobs to support there Education. Some were already parents , and had taken jobs to feed there children. A very small minority actually went on to a decent school and carved there niche in society, but an overwhelming majority stayed at home trying to figure out where there celebrity went. That saddened me. As I would continue to go home throughout the years, many of my friends would eventually make it out of there parents place, and do something with there lives, but we'd grow more and more increasingly apart. Its life.

We spin ahead 10 yrs into the present and here's where im at. A week ago, I was planning on spending the _____ week of September at home with my son watching College Football, now I'm presented with the possibility of rekindling some of those old flames.

This is the quandary I'm in. Do I go to this reunion, or simply stay at home? Now, to be fair since Ive been on this web page, its been quite the experience catching up with some of my old running mates. Many are doing much better, and some are doing great. There's a part of me that really wants to catch up, but its an event. People at Big-Ike did it BIG. I just wander if its a one time thing, or the start to rebuilding.



3 Comments:

At 3:06 PM , Blogger P said...

Interesting question. My reunion is next year (I won't mention which ONE!), but let's just say I missed the last one. :P

In any case, I have heard that the more popular ones are now the 15 or 20 year ones, versus the ten year ones.

I didn't go to mines because of two reasons. Frankly, because I couldn't afford it at the time, and two, most of who I still keep in touch with are people that I kept in touch with before the reunion.

Reunions are nice if the people who are there are authentically happy to return to their Alma Mater, versus trying to pull a Romy and Michelle and tack on a laundry list of accomplishments.

What do you think you are going to do?

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger smoothie said...

Good Question P,

Honestly, Im going to try to play it low profile..Show some pics of the wife and kid and hope that will suffice..They already know what I look like and where I work now , so that cats outta the bag(when you register,it asks for pic and current occupation)...

If i can get into a harlem shuffle, and buy a good round for my boys, I'll consider it a good weekend///e

 
At 8:19 PM , Blogger smoothie said...

P,

one more thing,YOU know Im not guessin that..nice try..lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home